Fayette County Courthouse - Lexington-Fayette, Ky.



Hopefully Peter won't be too upset, but I decided to just get Fayette over with today. Pictured below are the new Circuit and District Court buildings at the corner of Main and Limestone. They don't bother me as much as they apparently bother others, though I do absolutely love the old courthouse above, which is now the History Center. There are TONS of stories to be told about this old courthouse (Cheapside Park, the statutes, the water fountains, etc.) but I'm going to let Peter tell you those, because he knows those stories better than I do. All I know is that this is the FIFTH courthouse to sit on this spot, and based on the pictures in some of my Lexington history books, most of them were really really beautiful buildings.
So, Peter...whatcha know?

Comments

Peter Brackney said…
I promise to add some insight on Lexington's courthouse as well as the statues in Cheapside Park.

In fact, for our readers (I think there are one or two besides Nate and I) - our downtown Lexington posts may soon increase and provide for a third type of post. Joining NoDestination and Kentucky120 will be walkLEX.

Oh, and Nate - I switched your county tag to "Fayette" to match up with some of my prior posts.
Martha said…
I was hoping for a shot with the fountains! I love them... even thought I always get sprayed by them at lunch time...

Do either of you know how long that wire horse statue has been outside the circuit court?
Peter Brackney said…
Glad you asked, Martha!

Here is a link with some information on the horse you asked about: lexingtonky.gov