Kenton County Courthouse (No. 1) - Independence, Ky.

Okay, so this was nuts. Kenton County has two county seats - one in Independence, and one in Covington. I did not know this today, and now I'm sort of upset that I didn't get the other one in Covington when I was up there. Can anyone tell me if its prettier than this one in Independence? I was wondering the entire time I was in Independence why the seat wasn't in Covington, and now I feel kind of stupid. I guess I'll get it on my next trip to Cincinnati.
I have to admit that I got lost trying to find this courthouse in Independence, due mostly to the fact that Northern Kentucky is about the most confusing place in the world to drive. I had to end up calling Peter, who helped me get where I needed to go through the magic of the internet.

Comments

Peter Brackney said…
I am intrigued by the concept of there being two county seats! A little googling revealed that this was traditionally done when travel was too difficult in a large county (something even more baffling when you consider that Kenton County was not formed until 1840 when it broke off from Campbell County). Perhaps, instead there is a Civil War solution?

Anyway, 34 counties across the country have two county seats:
* St. Clair County, Alabama
* Arkansas County, Arkansas
* Carroll County, Arkansas
* Clay County, Arkansas
* Craighead County, Arkansas
* Franklin County, Arkansas
* Logan County, Arkansas
* Mississippi County, Arkansas
* Prairie County, Arkansas
* Sebastian County, Arkansas
* Yell County, Arkansas
* Lee County, Iowa
* Kenton County, Kentucky
* Essex County, Massachusetts
* Middlesex County, Massachusetts
* Plymouth County, Massachusetts
* Bolivar County, Mississippi
* Carroll County, Mississippi
* Chickasaw County, Mississippi
* Harrison County, Mississippi
* Hinds County, Mississippi
* Jasper County, Mississippi
* Jones County, Mississippi
* Panola County, Mississippi
* Tallahatchie County, Mississippi
* Yalobusha County, Mississippi
* Jackson County, Missouri
* Hillsborough County, New Hampshire
* Seneca County, New York
* Guilford County, North Carolina
* Bennington County, Vermont
NRK said…
Okay...it's good to know that there aren't any more in Kentucky.
Peter Brackney said…
I figured you would be relieved.