walkLEX: The Children of Downtown

Lexington has a number of statues in the downtown area. Three utilize children as their figures; one is a water-fountain and one is a fountain. Each are unique

At the Sayre School on North Limestone, two children are playing leapfrog:

At the northern end of Gratz Park, a young boy shows a young girl his sailboat as they sit atop a rock. The statue is part of a fountain. It was a gift "to the city's children" from 19th century author and Lexingtonian James Lane Allen.

In front of the old Fayette Courthouse stands Trois Enfants dans le Font, a useful statue of three children in the nude clutching a tree (which is topped by a light fixture). Beneath the children is a water fountain for adults and at ground level, "a drink for our friend."

Comments

Martha said…
Something about the first one creeps me out.
Peter Brackney said…
Agreed. It is quite odd that the 'creepy' one is the only one that does not involve nude children.
Martha said…
I know! I noticed that too. Before I even wrote the creepy comment I looked closely at the others to see if they creeped me out... they didn't. I wonder why...