walkLEX: McCarthy's Irish Bar

Looking Backward
Headed South, Looking North; Upper St., Lexington, Ky.
I really enjoyed doing a little digging for the 123 West Main post, so I decided to do a couple more. Plus, I had fun taking a few photos in my car's side mirror (and frankly, I only have to much to say about McCarthy's). Popular with UK students, the Irish Bar is a great place to go for a Guinness. But I think I would have rather gone to the location in the early 1920s...

According to the Asa C. Chinn collection, the two addresses (117 and 119 South Upper) once housed the Walter L. Honaker Fish and Oyster House (119) and D. Addler & Son (117). How I wish we still had a fish and oyster house downtown... [rumor has it a raw bar is coming to 310 W. Short St.] My research ended here - I couldn't discover anything else about either the oyster house or the jeweler. Does anyone know anything??

Comments

NRK said…
The Asa Chinn photo collection could literally entertain me for hours.
Peter Brackney said…
Yeah... it is pretty dangerous.
Alison said…
We stopped in at what will be Table 310, future oyster bar (Krim and Andrea are friends of ours). They have done a fantastic job rehabbing that building. Go check it out. Even if no one is there doing work, you should still be able to peek in the windows. And the facade, oh my God, it looks so good.
Peter Brackney said…
Alison: They have done a fantastic job - I work very close to 310 and am looking forward to its opening!! I've loved my visits to W+M and am so happy with their successes!
Alison said…
We can't wait for it to open! Just hope it's not a victim of its success like Grey Goose is/was...
Peter Brackney said…
is/was???? What is going on? I have plans to eat there Wednesday night!
Peter Brackney said…
Did eat there Wednesday night and had three delicious pizzas (shared with five family members). Love Grey Goose!